Thursday 16 August 2007
posted by The ComeBackKings at 07:28


Being a comedian isn’t easy. There is always pressure to be funny. People around you expect you to be funny and entertaining 24/7!


To steal a line from Finding Nemo; “Hey u’re a clown fish aren’t ya… Tell us a joke!”.

Plus there’s always that voice at the back of your head saying

“What if they don’t get it? What if nobody laughs? Why do they call it stand-up comedy? Have you heard about the guy who got choked while playing charades? Are they staring at my fly? I'M staring at my fly!”. Not forgetting the fact that people find it hard to tell when you’re being serious…

Serious
Me: I’m sorry Ms. Roseline but my computer crashed last night so I couldn’t complete my assignment in time…

Ms. Roseline (one nostril flaring): You think your education is a joke is it! Do I look like Harith ‘Ah-Ha’ Iskandar to you!

Not Serious
Me: I’m sorry Ms. Roseline I could not complete my assignment in time because my dog deleted my files!

Ms. Roseline: Oh its ok… accidents happen… Pass it to me next week la…


Parents are also involved in this equation. Not many parents from the ‘old’ generation can accept their kids being absorbed in performing arts or comedy to be exact.

Scene: Dinner table
Mum: Matt I just want you to know how sorry I am! Its my fault that you have to act like a fool on stage and that people are laughing at you..

Me: Err.. how is it your fault?

Mum: All those years of calling you a clown must have some how seep into your subconscious. I read in the Readers Digest that its called the Self-Fulfilling Prophecy.. (conversation goes on for 1 hour and 25 mins until the opening track of Desperate Housewives comes on the TV)

Moral of the story: You cant please everybody but you can make them laugh. The ability to make one laugh is the ability to heal the world. Make it a better place. For you and for me and the entire human race… *breaks into song*

Labels: